Tenant Guides

Useful resources to help tenants

Manchester CAB Chabot

Manchester CAB have created a chatbot which can provide real time assistance to it’s customers. This chatbot has now been added to the TDS (Tenancy Deposit scheme) website to assist TDS customers with more general queries
The TDS Chatbot can be accessed via the TDS Lounge page here

Newcastle City Council (Private Rented Service)
Thinking About Renting is a short video guide to renting in the private sector, The series of short educational films for tenants to help them understand their rights and responsibilities was funded by the TDS Charitable Foundation.

Advicenow Guidance

Law for Life provides multimedia information and education that explains how to manage legal situations in a straight-forward way. They run the award-winning Advicenow website providing a hand-picked and checked information service that draws together the best up-to-date information about the law and rights available on the internet.

Click to download the guide

How to deal with a section 21 eviction notice

Has your landlord or their agent sent you an eviction notice telling you to leave your home? If this happens to you and you rent from a private landlord and the property you rent is somewhere in England, then this guide is for you. This guide: • explains what the notice really means, • explains when and why you may be able to challenge the notice and your landlord’s claim for a possession order, and • helps you work out your options and decide what to do next. First off – you may be feeling stressed or anxious, but try not to panic. Perhaps a friend, neighbour or family member can sit and read this guide with you. You may want to read it through more than once as you think about your options and decide what to do.


I have used your guide to find out if I should appeal (I appreciated your very frank advice). I’ve now used it to ask for an appeal. It was really helpful and I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t found it.” – Advicenow site user




Click to download the guide

How to get repairs done at your privately rented home

If you rent a home in England from a private landlord and you need repairs doing, then this guide is for you. If you are living in something called ‘temporary accommodation’ you may think this guide doesn’t apply to you. But your temporary accommodation is probably rented from a private landlord. If so, you are a private tenant and this guide is also for you. This guide explains: • who is responsible for repairing your home, • what you can do to get repairs done, and • what you can do if your landlord fails to repair something they are responsible for. It also helps you work out your options and decide what to do next.


“Advicenow is the liveliest, least stuffy, most accessible and understandable website on legal matters that I’ve ever come across.”  – Marcel Berlins, The Guardian

Don’t let your deposit get away! – TDS

Tenancy deposits

Is your deposit protected?

By law, landlords must protect deposits on assured shorthold tenancies in a government approved scheme.

There are three schemes which protect tenancy deposits.

Check if you are protected by the Tenancy Deposit Scheme

If your deposit is not protected by the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, you can search the other schemes on the Shelter website.

If you think your deposit is being withheld unfairly you can raise a dispute through the scheme.


Is your letting agent a member of a professional or regulatory body?

A number of professional bodies exist to regulate letting agents and encourage best practice. Each body requires a standard of practice and you can find out if your agent is a member by checking their online directories:

Landlord Accreditation Schemes

There are accreditation schemes for landlords across the country. Find out about the schemes in your area.